Monday, July 27, 2009

Saturday, July 25, 2009
We finally got to be introduced to President & Sister Almonte. They are wonderful and sweet people. Genuinely loving and caring. They were so gracious to us and opened their home to us while we hunt for an apartment. They saw to our every need. Before bed they served us a light meal called menendar in Spanish. It was after 10:30 when we finished.

It was late and Pam was exhausted after a long day of travel, sitting in a hot plane for 1 ½ hours, and putting up with the extra hour it took for me to search for my wallet. She finally got to bed close to midnight. However the little things the Almonte’s did really helped, like the vase of fresh roses in our room with a note that read, “Welcome Elder & Sister Johnson to the Dominican Republic Santo Domingo West Mission.” Pam started to cry when she saw it! And the note in the bathroom that said “Elder & Siser Johnson, Treat this like your own home, everything here is for you to use”.

I stayed up and used President Almonte’s office phone to all of the credit card companies to cancel the cards I had in my wallet. As it turned out, only one of the four cards had to be completely cancelled. The other three have different numbers assigned to them for Pam, so those three can still be used. At least we can get cash on Monday to rent an apartment, furnish it, etc. The bad news is that I lost about $280.00. The good news is that all of the rest of the contents can be replaced, including my temple recommend, missionary certificate, driver’s license, insurance card, etc.

I didn’t get to bed till after midnight. But all in all we are delighted to be in the Dominican Republic. We are thrilled to be in the home of the Mission President and his gracious wife. And even though I lost my cash, we are both safe, happy, and staying with good people that love us, so what else matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment