Thursday, November 19, 2009

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 (Veteran’s Day)

Hna. Johnson pointed out to me that today is Veteran’s Day. So I would like to take this moment to thank all of the veterans out there, especially my father-in-law Jim Burk (WWII Pacific), for their unselfish service and sacrifice to keep our county free. It is because of these brave men and women that we sleep under the blanket of freedom which was bought with their blood. Thank you Veterans, I salute you!



Yesterday when I told the office elders about the generator I found they said there was another one around on the west side of the office. Sure enough and it’s a big one too. It’s 4 cylinder generator with enough power to run a small home. Unfortunately it is very old and it’s been outside in the rain for years. The gas tank had a pint of gas left in it mixed with a quart of rainwater! The crankcase was clear full of rainwater. I can’t figure out how that got in there. Oh well, my best hope is with the smaller, newer generator.

I spent the morning in my grubbies working on both generators. The one I found in Azua last Sunday is practically new but it has a problem too. The carburetor leeks when the gas is turned on. The engine runs and it does generate electricity great. But I will have to find a repair shop to fix the leak if we are to use it in Duvergé this Saturday.

This afternoon we received a phone call that sent the mission office buzzing. The call was from Elder Jones, the Caribbean Area Executive Secretary. He told us that Elder M. Russell Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles will be in Santo Domingo tomorrow thru Sunday. He will be conducting a Mission President seminar for all of the mission presidents in the Caribbean area. Elder Jones called to remind President Almonte to be in the Temple chapel at 7:45am dressed in white. President Almonte commented to the AP’s after the phone call, “I’ll be there at 7:00!” He has been anxiously awaiting the seminar since he heard of it a week and a half ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment