Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Monday, October 19, 2009

Last Saturday, Elder Lewis (serving in San Juan) was brought to the capital to the hospital. He is very sick and the AP’s thought he had a “blood disease”. Today he isn’t any better but we did get a diagnosis from the doctors at the hospital. He has “Dengue”, a disease carried by mosquitoes. There are 4 or 5 different variations, each one progressively worse. The worst form can cause death. The local name for the disease is “Break Bone Fever”. They call it that because the fever is so bad it feels like your bones are breaking! Elder Lewis is the second missionary to get it in the past month.

In our literature we received before we left on our mission there was a list of things to bring. Included in the list were things like insect repentant and mosquito netting to keep from being bit by mosquitoes. However I would guess that very few of our Elders are doing anything to protect themselves from Mosquitoes.

On Sunday mornings when Hna. Johnson and I load the pickup in Azua to leave for Neyba we leave the vehicle doors open for just a couple of minutes while I load the truck for the trip. Once we start the car and head out of the driveway, we discover dozens of mosquitoes in the cab with us. We always have to roll down the windows and shew them out. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of those mosquitoes were “Denque Fever” carriers.





Late this evening before leaving the office a package arrived for me. I’ve waited a long time for it. My brother-in-law, Dr. Gary Burk ordered dietary supplements to be shipped directly to me from the manufacturer. They’ve been a long time coming; he placed the order back on September 23rd, almost a month ago. But I’m delighted to get them. I’ve been out of a couple of items for some time now and I really believe in the benefit of supplements. Ever since Dr. Burk put me on them and lowered my cholesterol and Triglycerides by 510% I’m a firm believer. I was worried how I could get my supplements refilled in the Dominican Republic. At our farewell and open house Dr. Burk told me that he would take care of it for me. And I am so glad he has. Thanks Dr. Burk.



Monday, October 19, 2009

Tonight we were invited to FHE with Pres. & Sis. Almonte at their home. Also invited were the other two senior couples in the mission, Elder & Sis. Roberts who have been here in the Dominican Republic for three weeks. And Elder & Sis. Finlayson, they’ve only been in the country for three days. They will be serving as CES missionaries.

Of course Hna. Almonte put on a huge meal she calls a late evening snack after FHE. The Dominicans have a word for the meal, it is “merieda” . But it is no snack, she put on a ton of food and it was all delicious. I’m glad I didn’t have anything to eat before I went. It was sure good.

Hna. Johnson didn’t go with me to FHE. She is still fighting a cold with a bad cough. She stayed in our apartment and went to bed early. It was a good thing too, the FHE and dinner didn’t get over until after 10:00pm and Hna. Johnson needed the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment