Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Today Hna. Johnson continues to be sick. She is coughing so much it’s given her a headache. She describes it as a “rattling” in her chest. For the past two days she has started sneezing again as if she has started another cold even before the last one got over. This morning when we got to the Neyba Branch, I asked Elder Báez to assist me in giving Hna. Johnson a priesthood blessing. It is truly a blessing to have the power of the priesthood available all around us. Especially here in the mission field as we work with so many young Elders eager to exercise their priesthood and call down the blessing of heaven for the benefit of the sick and the afflicted.

I should have thought of giving Hna. Johnson a blessing a week ago but who thinks of giving a priesthood blessing for a simple cold. Well, this cold isn’t simple. After the blessing Hna. Johnson spent the balance of the day resting and napping in the Branch President’s office, the only air conditioned room in the building. She said that she hardly coughed at all. By the time we left for the capital at 4:00pm she was feeling much better.

My duties as Branch President in Neyba makes a full day on Sunday. Today I conducted my first Branch Council meeting after the bock. It was just like any other “Ward Council” anywhere in the states except here it’s in Spanish. My Spanish isn’t real good but I’m getting better. I probably understood 80% of what was said by the Branch Auxiliary leaders. However there are some members that speak Spanish with a true Dominican flare and those I can only catch one word in ten! But then I ask questions, get clarification and I am able to get the gist of what is said.




Sunday, October 18, 2009

Remember the goat of Neyba I talked about last Sunday. Well here is the latest on them. Before we left the Branch building Hna. Johnson was a witness to an accident in the street in front of the chapel. She was resting in the Branch President’s office when she heard a lot of noise, commotion and goats bleating. The goats I talked about last week were in the way of some neighborhood children who had come into the parking lot to play basketball. The commotion and noise were these boys chasing the goats off of the parking lot and into the street. At just that moment a man on a motorcycle going very fast went by and plowed into the herd of goats. The poor man was skinned up and his motorcycle was dented and scraped but he, goats and cycle all survived.

No comments:

Post a Comment