Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Saturday, April 3, 2010 (General Conference)

Last night Hna. Johnson and I went to the Gym at the Dominican Fiesta Hotel to do our nightly exercise routine but discovered that the gym was closed for painting. So I went to check out the pool to swim laps but there were hundreds of people in the pool. It’s “Semana Santa”, Good Friday, and a very big holiday in the Dominican Republic. So, we decided to walk down to the park. We haven’t been there is quite a while and it was a beautiful evening. The air is actually cool, maybe Spring has returned for a day to the DR. We did enjoy our walk in the park. There were tons of people in the park picnicking, playing, walking, jogging, biking, etc.






Up until 2 months ago I had no DSL or cable in our apartment. But now that we have DSL I was able to get the live General Conference feed over the internet on my laptop computer. It was perfect. We didn’t have to drive 5 miles to the “Casa de Huespedes” to watch conference with the senior couples that have the BYU channel. We were able to watch it right here in our own apartment. We loved watching conference. The talks were all wonderful, inspiring, timely and words to live by.

All day today I thought it was Sunday. We didn’t go to work at the office; we listened to inspiring talks so it just seemed like Sunday to me. I tried to get “Music and the Spoken Word” on the laptop before the first session of conference but for some reason I couldn’t find a live feed. I finally gave up and watched a “Music and the Spoken Word” from last conference. It wasn’t until 2:00pm that I finally realized today was Saturday, not Sunday. Of course I couldn’t get a live feed; there wasn’t one available. Oh well, I’ll get it tomorrow. I guess having two Sunday’s in a row isn’t a bad thing anyway.

This evening for the General Priesthood Session of conference I was invited to the apartment of Elder & Hna. Jones at the Casa de Huespedes. When I received the invitation from Hna. Jones she mentioned that the Mehr’s would be there too and Hna. Johnson was invited as well. Hna. Jones said, “The ladies will watch it too. What are we wives going to do anyway, go sit in the next room?” So Hna. Johnson joined me and all 6 of us watched the Priesthood session together. Hna. Johnson commented: “This was the very best Priesthood session she has ever attended!” It was the only priesthood meeting she’s ever attended; of course it was the best.



The priesthood session was a great session of conference. We enjoyed the session very much, the Hermanas too. The talks by Elder Dallon H. Oaks, Pres. Dieter F. Uchtdorf and President Monson were particularly wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment