Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Thursday, December 3, 2009

We were busy in the office today getting ready for the conversion to IMOS. But other than that, not a whole lot happened. But Hna. Johnson and I did manage to leave the office a half hour early tonight. It was nice because we were able to go for walk in the park. We haven’t been walking much because of Hna. Johnson respiratory illness that lasted 5 weeks. But she is completely better now. We should go walking more often now.






However taking walks in the afternoon is not fun. It is still very hot in Santa Domingo. The 10 day forecast is for the highs everyday to be 89 or 90 degrees. The night time lows are forecast to be 71 or 70. The humidity stays between 50 to 90% everyday with 30 to 50% chance of rain. The interesting thing about this forecast is that it is exactly the same as it was in July when Hna. Johnson & I got here. It was the same in August, September, October and November. No change, no change in the forecast at all. An Elder that has been here for two summers made the comment last week that he can finally enjoy the weather now since winter is finally here! He’s soooo funny!




Hna. Johnson and I did enjoy our walk in the park but we were very hot. When we got back to our apartment, we were soaked in sweat. We took cold showers to cool off. That was very refreshing.

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 3, 2009 - THE FOLLOWING IS HNA. JOHNSON’S E-MAIL SENT TO HER FAMILY

Hola everyone,

Hope you all had good turkey dinners, except I don’t think Ernie did being down under. We had our own little dinner and while we were finishing up I said to Elder Johnson…”I miss the chaos.” Children running around with excitement, extra people in the kitchen, noise of laughter, football stories, and all that jazz. I hope to experience a traditional holiday dinner soon.

f you have been reading our blog, you already know of what we have been doing. Every Saturday brings on an adventure. We travel quite a bit taking furniture, appliances, mail, packages, luggage and supplies. We have been able to participate in baptisms, branch activities and lots of meetings. Our suitcases never get to be stored for we are always packing them and our ice chest.

Last week, I received a fed ex envelope and when I opened it there was only one letter in it. It was to a counselor in our mission presidency and when I read it I said to myself, I hope I never see another one like it. It was a special calling letter from the First Presidency and this document had all the original signatures on it. He was being called to be a mission president. We had just visited with him and his wife not too long ago and she was telling me that this would be their last mission calling for a while for she and her husband had not been home for over 6 years and she was ready to fill her arms up with her family. Her husband had already served as a mission president, they served another mission (I cannot remember where) and now they were serving in the temple here and he is Pres. Almonte’s counselor. Their whole family, everyone, is coming for Christmas and then they will leave for his new area. He is taking over for a mission president who has become gravely ill. Their new calling is in the US this time and hopefully they will get to see more of their family. I cannot even imagine being gone that long, she said she has had numerous grandbabies that she has never seen or held.

We are well and hope to hear from a lot of you at Christmas time. This is such a special time of the year to celebrate the birth of Christ. I testify to you that He lives and has done more for us than we can comprehend. I am so thankful for Him and all that He has done and is doing for me and for my family. He has brought me such comfort these last few months as I have been overwhelmed and have missed my family so much. Families are the most precious gifts that one can receive and I am so thankful for mine. I have so much to be thankful for.
Have fun decorating, baking, buying, wrapping and soak up that cool weather for guess what…. It is still HOT here. Be happy and remember Shrek and Donkey for they
love you all. Bye for now

Lots of love from the DR,
Elder y Hermana Johnson
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment