Saturday, January 9, 2010

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Today was a little bit back to normal. I spent half the day on the road doing my “diligencias” (errands) for the office, paying bills, picking up packages at the bus depot, picking up the mail at Centro de Servicios, etc. The rest of my day was spent preparing the pictures of the new missionaries for the “Picture Roster Board”.

While I was Centro de Servicio I talked to Hna. Dayanara, she’s the Caribbean Area accountant that works with Hna. Johnson on the mission’s books. I was very pleased to discover that the million plus pesos Hna. Johnson found last Monday the 28th were indeed misdirected and available for us to recapture and balance the mission’s books. This was the news we’ve been waiting a week for. Hna. Johnson breathed a sigh of relief when she heard the good news. She was afraid that her discovery was too good to be true but it wasn’t. The confirmation from Dayanara is official, it is true, the mission books are balanced and in the black.

Hna. Dayanara has been saying for a month that there was no missing money. Pres. Almonte kept saying there was at least a million pesos missing and probably more. Well… when I talked to Dayanara this morning and explained to her what Hna. Johnson had found… she sat there in her chair in shock with her mouth open. She kept saying, I had no idea the vouchers for rent paid by check were not being sent the SLC. As she kept analyzing our discovery she would sit in her chair and stare at the wall. But she did agree with Hna. Johnson’s discovery. Not only had the vouchers not been sent to SLC by Hna. Johnson for the past 5 months but they hadn’t been sent by Hna. Larson for the previous 3 months. Nor had they been sent by Hna. Gray since the beginning of 2009! A whole year’s worth of missing vouchers, it was huge. It was an error of over 1.1 million pesos in the mission’s favor. That is over 35 thousand in US dollars! When I left her she said, I don’t know what to say. I’m numb! Hna. Johnson is turning into a regular accountant after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment