Sunday, May 30, 2010

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Today was a busy day. I spent the better part of the day on “Dilegencias” (Errands) for the mission. One of my stops was at the “Ferreteria Americana” (Americana Hardware Store). “Ferreteria Americana” is a very large hardware store. It has everything a handyman could possibly want. It is a stark contrast to most hardware stores in the DR. The typical corner hardware store here is a little “Mom & Pop” type hardware store on just about every street corner all over the capital. They are usually about the size of a two car garage and only carry the bare essentials for a fellow to make simple repairs or buy handyman supplies .




“Ferreteria Americana” is the Home Depot or Lowe’s of the DR. It has everything, all laid out in nice isles full of “do-it-yourself” and home repair stuff. I thought the “Ferreteria Americana” was perfect until today. Today I had to return a CFL light bulb I bought yesterday. When I screwed it in it didn’t work so I took it back to get a replacement. Simple, right?.... NO. I was at the store an hour before I finally left with the replacement. The bulb went through the hands of at least 6 different people all over the store before I could start the warranty paperwork! Yes, warranty paperwork for a light bulb. The experience really made me appreciate the USA and real customer service. Home Depot and Lowe’s are not perfect by any means but after today’s experience I have developed a new appreciation for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment