Monday, September 28, 2009


Thursday, September 24, 2009

This morning the office Elders and I had big plans to go out and fix a lot of problems with the Elders apartments. But it seems that nothing ever goes as planned in the mission office. Early in the morning the mission president called to say that it was a national holiday and that the streets would be choked with cars leaving for the holiday. Therefore he didn’t want any of the missionaries out and about. They were to all stay in their apartments for the day.

The president was right. Everyone was gone for the holiday. I needed to pick up some pictures I had printed at “Price Smart” and the city streets were deserted. I’ve never seen so few cars on the road…. Well will the possible exception of the time Hna. Johnson and I left for “El Campo” at 4:30am.

While I was at “Price Smart” (the Costco of the Dominican Republic) I picked up a couple large pizzas from the food court (just like the one at Price Club) for the elders in the office. They were great pizzas.

The national holiday today was “Santo Mercedes” the patron saint of the Dominican Republic. I’m sure there are a lot of people that worship their Mercedes but they don’t live in the Dominican Republic. There are very few Mercedes here. However “Santo Mercedes” day can and is used for worship. Since this holiday lands on a week day this year, the Santo Domingo Temple has added extra sessions to their normal endowment schedule. A day off from work is a great day to serve the Lord and your ancestors too.

No comments:

Post a Comment