Friday, September 18, 2009



Wednesday, September 16, 2009

While Hna. Johnson and I were at the Temple today; we stopped in at the MTC’s bookstore and bought the new “Santa Biblia” published by the church with all the LDS footnotes and cross references. This long awaited publication was finally made available to the Spanish speaking members of the church all around the world the day before yesterday. Since we left on our mission last July, Hna. Johnson and I have been sharing my old “Santa Biblia” I used 40 years ago on my mission in Mexico. We haven’t purchased another Spanish bible because we wanted to wait for the new edition printed by the church.

In the states we take our scriptures for granted. If we are reading a passage of scripture in the New Testament, we just expect the footnotes to cross reference with the D&C, Book of Mormon and the Pearl of Great Price. This new bible with its footnotes and cross references tying all 4 Spanish standard works of the church together will really be a blessing for all Spanish speaking members and missionaries all over the world.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009
The following is Hna. Johnson’s E-mail home to her family.


Hola Everyone,
We have made it through another week but not without mistakes. Sooner or later, we hope to get this calling down. When the President comes down on the elders, they call it a boche (bow chay). And they have this fun hand gesture when they receive it or say it. A boche is a chastisement. Well, a few days ago the President came in early to the office, about 7:50 am. I told him that he came in early today and he just smiled. Well, the elders started hastening up to the office and then there was lots of activity. A man came to the office, who had an appointment with the president. All of a sudden, all the elders and David were in the office. David came out a couple of times getting some files and then returning quickly to the office. They were in there for a few hours. I didn’t know whether to feel relieved or what and then the elders came out and the man and then David came and asked me to come in the office. I have to tell you all, I was a little concerned because like I said, I made some mistakes. Was this my boche? The president looked at David and started talking very seriously, Ok , I’m dead. David translated, and the president was expressing his gratitude for our labors and complimented me on how well I was doing on my computer skills. OK, now I started to cry. The pressure was a little too much. This man is so amazing and so forgiving, cause like I said I have made some mistakes.(big and small)
One of the mistakes I made was I forgot to pay the light bill on the Azua house.(they don’t mail bills, just put them on the doorsteps or in the fences) So this last week, David and I did not leave on Saturday. We left on Sunday morning at 4:45am to head out to all our meetings and destinations. Also, the APs in the south had a slight accident in their truck when backing out (yes, they got a boche), so the truck has been getting repaired (one of David’s assignments is vehicles and he had lots of fun driving around and getting estimates). So, without a vehicle, we have became more of a help for them to deliver supplies and mail to missionaries in surrounding towns. So our day went like this, oh before I tell you that, David always says this saying when we leave; “Shriek and donkey off on another whirlwind adventure.” The first time he said it I asked who is shriek and who is donkey. But that is our motto every time we head off on assignments. Ok, back to Sunday. We left at 4:45 am, went to Vicente Noble and drop off things to the APs (brownies where included from Hna Johnson), meetings in Neyba (mail, supplies and brownies), we visited 3 families, off to Duverge to deliver mail, supplies and brownies (and a sad message we would not be with them for meetings) off back to Vicente Noble to the branch there,(met some wonderful people there) off to Azua Oeste(west) and Azua Este(east) seek and find elders to deliver mail and supplies, off to Bani to seek and find elders and deliver mail, supplies and inspect a new apartment for them to move in to. When we got home, we were tired but I have to say the elders were happy to see us and that made it all worthwhile.
My weekly traffic story is that on Sunday night when we finally made it back into the city, I started counting and pointing out all the taxi drivers that do not have lights on. (most of them have had so many accidents that they just don’t have lights) We were stopped at a very busy and large intersection and as I was doing this, some guy on rollerblades goes whizzing by, now mind you, he is in the middle of four lanes of traffic, most cars going very fast, some with no headlights and the roads here are full of pot holes. Is he crazy, yes! But not alone in craziness, 2 more came soon after. Dominicans either have no fear or just plain don’t seem to care, I haven’t figured it out yet. But until you have experienced this kind of driving it might just be a little unbelieving on how insane it is.
We love you all and thank you for all the prayers. We really feel the support. Take care and be safe and be healthy and know that we think of you and pray for you as well.
Much love,

No comments:

Post a Comment