Monday, September 7, 2009



Tuesday, September 01, 2009 (Transfer day!)

Today was Hna. Johnson & my first transfer day. It was very busy but it all went very smooth. We also had 12 new missionaries arrive from the Santo Domingo MTC. Eleven elders and sisters were planned for but an extra Sister arrived unexpectedly. She is one of the missionaries that goes through the MTC “accelerated”. In her original call it said she was to spend 9 weeks at the MTC but when she got there they discovered that she was already a fluent Spanish speaker so she only spent 3 weeks before being sent to us.

One of my duties was to teach the new missionaries and give them an orientation course on their finances, reports, passports & visas, letter writing, G-mail, etc. I’ve been studying and practicing the material in Spanish for a couple of weeks now. But it was still very hard to remember all of the things I’m supposed to teach and then say them with understandable Spanish.

My teaching task was complicated by the presence of two non-Spanish speakers. One was from Michigan, the only American in the group. The other was from Haiti, his native language is French. To round out the group there were 8 Dominicans, 1 from El Salvador and the only Sister missionary was from Nicaragua. They are a great bunch, full of the missionary spirit and anxious and enthusiastic to get started in the mission field.

Another one of my duties on transfer day is to be the “mission photographer!” I get to take all of the pictures of the new arrivals with Pres. & Hna. Almonte as well as their individual pictures. Wow, you’d think I’d died and went to heaven I’m sooooo happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment